Malaga Cove Library
The Malaga Cove Library is located at 2400 Via Campesina. It was originally known as the Palos Verdes Public Library and Art Gallery. The facility was designed by architect Myron Hunt and opened to the public on June 8, 1930. The library has five levels with large windows that provide lots of natural light for the reading rooms. The style of architecture in the interior of the library is called Mediterranean Revival. High-beamed ceilings provide a sense of openness in the main reading area. There is a cozy fireplace in the children's reading area. There is a stone patio outside of the main entrance. You can sit and read at an outdoor table. The bottom level of the library, which faces Via Campesina, has a large Art Gallery space where frequent local artists show their work to the public. This lower level is also where the Peninsula Friends of the Library house a vast collection of donated books for sale to the community at book sales once a month. There is a tower room at the top of the library that provides views of the adjacent park, ocean, and community. The sturdy wooden tables and chairs are all reproductions of Italian Renaissance originals. The library building has a red mission tiled roof and a stucco exterior. The library has been designated a California Historic Place and is a historic landmark.