What we know today as the beautiful Neighborhood Church, was originally built in 1927 by wealthy department store owner John Joseph Haggarty. What used to be known as the Haggarty mansion transformed in 1950 into the local Palos Verdes Neighborhood Church. The Neighborhood Church purchased the mansion for $65,000. The Neighborhood Church is located at 415 Paseo del Mar in lower Malaga Cove. The local congregation bought the mansion to establish its own location for its congregation who had previously held its services at the Malaga Cove School auditorium. The structure stretches along the bluff and has views that stretch across the ocean to Manhattan Beach and beyond. The church was designed as an Italian villa by architect Armand Monaco.