Malaga Cove Plaza
Malaga Cove Plaza is the central business hub for Palos Verdes Estates. It is made up of a collection of buildings that were constructed over a 37 year span of time from 1924 to 1961. In 1924, construction began on the first commercial building in Malaga Cove Plaza. This building was known as the Gardner building. It was named after its owner W.W. Gardner and was later called La Casa Primera by the Art Jury. It was built in the Spanish Renaissance style with plaster exterior walls and terracotta roof tiles. It was completed in 1925. The building hosted the first Palos Verdes Post Office and has housed several different grocery and meat markets. It also had stores on the ground floor for Real Estate sales. The second floor was used for offices by the Palos Verdes Project, the Art Jury, and Homes Association. Eventually, other stores leased space. The outside arcade was used as a podium for official speakers with, seating or chairs, placed in Malaga Cove Plaza where cars now park. Residents of Palos Verdes Estates were encouraged to shop at the grocery and meat market. The opening of these retail stores was the beginning of Malaga Cove Plaza as a business center and city gathering spot.